Sunday, September 7, 2008

Grandparent's Day

Today is National Grandparent's Day!

As a child it was a blessing to live within minutes of both sets of my grandparents - 4 of the most incredible people in my life. My mom's parents, Ray & Lois, were missionaries in Africa for almost a decade - they have AMAZING stories! They then lived in WI and served as a high school teacher and a nurse. My dad's parents, Del & Lorraine, have always lived just a few blocks from us. Grandma was my Kindergarten teacher (she also taught my siblings and a handful of cousins!) and Grandpa has worked in the funeral home business for many years.
Each of my grandparents has played a major role in my life. They are loving, fun, respected, humble, faith-filled, Christian examples. Illness has affected each of them in some way, but their faith in their Lord Jesus is strong, as is their love for each other and their family. I am blessed to still be able to see each of them on a regular basis and pray that by God's grace they will be able to meet and hold our child.

Whenever I hear or sing the following hymn, I think of my grandparents and the number one thing they have continued to teach their families day after day, year after year....sharing the news of our Savior.

God's Word is our great heritage
and shall be ours forever;
To spread its light from age to age
Shall be our chief endeavor.
Through life it guides our way;
In death it is our stay.
Lord, grant, while worlds endure,
We keep its teachings pure
Throughout all generations.
CW 293

Love,
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails