Saturday, September 20, 2008

MOVE for a CURE

My Grandma Lorraine has been battling Alzheimer's for quite a few years. She is an incredible lady with the sweetest, kindest heart of anyone I have ever known. This disease has robbed her and our family of so much.
MANY of my childhood memories include Grandma....Sunday afternoons at her house after church, the way she buttered my graham crackers, her reading "Are You My Mother" to me for the hundredth time, and singing the "Pony Boy" song to each of her grandchildren as she bounced us on her leg. She always had a smile, a kind word, a laugh, a hug.
Today Josh and I participated in the Alzheimer's Association Memory Walk at the park next to our home. It was amazing to see so many people come together to fight this disease by raising funds and awareness.
In October, Papa Del will lead the Memory Walk in my home town in Wisconsin and my aunt Jan is serving as co-chairperson this year. I am so proud of them! Papa Del has taught me what it means to love your spouse with unconditional love.
It is heart wrenching to see Grandma go through this and I miss HER so very much. There are so many things that miss talking with her about. I know she would've held my children in her arms and loved them with her entire heart. It is devastating to know that they will not know her like I did. Along with the sadness, there is the truth that the suffering will not go on forever. In heaven there will be no disease or tears...only pure joy and eternity with our Savior.
God's plan for our family has unfolded in ways that we did not expect, but we hold tightly to His promises. His love for us is evident even in this difficult time.


Every 71 seconds, someone is diagnosed with this fatal disease.
Please consider making a donation to the Alzheimer's Association to help us find a cure.
September 21st is World Alzheimer's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails