Friday, September 19, 2008

When the dog bites...













...when the bee stings, when I'm feeling sad, I simply remember my favorite things and then I don't feel so bad."

I got stung by a bee yesterday in the grocery store. Wonderful. I tried to go about my shopping, simply holding my hand against a frozen bag of broccoli, but then freaked 'cause my hand started to swell up very quickly and my whole arm became red and blotchy. I ran clear across the store to the medicine area, grabbed some Benadryl, bought the items in my cart (only about 1/3 of what I went in for - oh good, now I have to go back) and headed to the car.
Of course I called Mom right away (because, in all honesty, I NEED Mom when I'm sick, hurt, scared...even if she's 5 hours away, she'd still be able to comfort me through the phone) and she told me what I already knew (but STILL needed to hear directly from her) and that was to make sure the stinger was out and then rub a meat tenderizer concoction on the area.
I realized as I got close to home that we have NO ice trays. Great. So I stopped at the corner gas station, showed the worker my swelling hand, and asked to take some ice in a cup. The lady looked at me liked I was crazy, but let me take some.
I got home, made a paste to put on my hand, and got an ice-bag ready. I started feeling groggy (Josh would say droggy....a word he absolutely THINKS is real, but is just some accidental word he made up by mixing groggy and drowsy, I think) from the medicine, so I laid down and was in and out of sleep for the next 3 hours.
So much for everything I was going to get done yesterday.
I woke up this morning and boy did my hand ITCH like CRAZY!!
To look at the bright side, at least I didn't get stung again under my eye like I did 2 summers ago. It was awful...the pain, the swelling, not being able to see, the stares I got from people.

I got stung and it wasn't one bit pleasant....however, I think this week I'll be like Maria and remember my favorite things so I won't feel so bad.

So stay tuned for some of my favorite things.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails