Wednesday, October 22, 2008

In the WORD Wednesday ~ Hungry


Ever had one of those days when you could just eat all day?

I told you that Mom gave us a bunch of great snacky food ~ Yay! We've run out of cupboard space in our little kitchen, so a lot of the yummy treat bags are still sitting out on the counter. Every time I walk into the kitchen, I have the urge to snatch a rice crispy bar or mini Snickers and enjoy. I have been pretty good about rationing the goodies out, though......we gotta make this stuff last!

So yes, time to make room in the cupboards! Time for the goodies to be stored in a closed cabinet. Out should come the uncooked noodles and cans of tomato paste to take over the counter spot, I suppose. ;0) Goodies out of site, out of mind. After all, if I'm really hungry, I should make myself a sensible meal. Just eating the snacks wouldn't be healthy or completely satisfy my hunger.

"For the bread of God is he who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world. 'Sir', they said, 'from now on give us this bread.' Then Jesus declared, I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty." (John 6:33-35)

Is my soul just as hungry as my silly stomach?

Not only should my soul be hungry....God wants my soul to be ravenous!! He wants me to CRAVE Him and all that is Him.

Jesus, the Bread of Life, continually offers himself to me through the Word and Sacrament.....and my sinful self sometimes ignores the offer. Why do I sometimes leave my Bible untouched? I wouldn't go a day without filling my stomach. How can I let a day pass without satisfying the urge to snatch up & enjoy the food of God?

Christ Jesus is not just handing out a little snack. He is offering LIFE!!! Heaven!! And its FREE!! Only the Savior can satisfy the need for forgiveness and freedom from sin, death, and the devil. He suffered in our place, so that we will not have to taste eternal death in hell.

This is one of my favorite hymns....sung most often before Holy Communion:

I come, O Savior to your table,
For weak and weary is my soul;
O Jesus, you alone are able

To satisfy and make me whole.

Lord, may your body and your blood

Be for my soul the highest good.

Christian Worship 310


I pray that Christ would continue to fuel my need for Him and satisfy the hunger of my soul.

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails