Thursday, December 18, 2008

Kleenex & Hot Cocoa

Every year my wonderful parents buy me a children's book for Christmas. I always look forward to finding out which one Mom picked for me that year!

This is the time of year that I like to snuggle up, sip some hot cocoa, and enjoy some fantastic books. Keeping a Kleenex box near by is always a smart thing, too. ;-)

Here are a few of my favorites....


One of my all time favorite books! This tale serves as a reminder that God's plans are ALWAYS best.


This story of lonely, bitter woodcarver who makes a Nativity for a widow & her son is so heartwarming....I cry every time I read it.

A sweet little lamb who isn't strong enough to make a long journey is woken up to a surprise on Christmas Eve.


Finally, this is one that I found recently while sorting books during work at the Library.....

Mortimer's Christmas Manger

An adorable mouse learns about the true meaning of Christmas!


Maybe next year we'll have a little one to enjoy these sweet stories with!

Do you have a favorite book or two that you read at Christmas time? Or something that you receive every year?


I leave you with some holiday tunes courtesy of a few "Boy Bands". Be honest. Don't we all secretly love them? ;-)







14 comments:

  1. What a lovely tradition, Rachel! I have to admit I have never read any of these books, but it makes me want to run out and find them and start a tradition in my home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the ideas on children's Christmas books. I buy a new book for my kids every Christmas, but have not found too many Christmas books that I have liked.

    On another note, praying that you are united with your little one very soon. What a sweet mama you are! Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know I openly enjoy boy bands! :) Love the books! My mom would always buy me childrens books for Christmas, especially after I started going to MLC.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I pray that you have a little one to share them with SOON!

    We have the tale of the trees book...I need to pull it out, I think Jax would really like it now!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the books Rachel! And yes, there is a little (hard to admit) part of me that does like me a little bit o boy band. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you only get Christmas books? These all look wonderful!

    One of our favorite books that is very funny is "The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs." If you have not had a chance to check it out you should! Your new little one would LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What cute books! I love that tradition!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great books Rachel!

    The one we always read at Christmas when the kids were young was "Santa are you for real?"

    We did not "do Santa" with our kids. Not for religious reasons but because my husbands was traumatized as a child when told that santa would pass by his house if he didn't go to sleep. He had nightmares every year and didn't want to do that to his kids. However, I knew my kids would have Santa all around them and wanted to be able to answer their questions (and help keep them from spoiling it for some other child) this book was so good at explaining who Santa is and how he came about....most importantly how Saint Nick was a Christ follower.

    I love this tradition!! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Crippled Lamb is one of my favorites too! When I was a little girl our puppy chewed the one of the legs off of the lamb in our nativity scene. I was very upset, and still wanted the lamb to see Baby Jesus. So every year, we still put the little crippled lamb in our nativity. When this book came out my Mom bought it for me also!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, I still listen to Backstreet Boys sometimes.

    *hangs head in shame*

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think that is a great tradition! I wish someone would start that for me, because I would appreciate it way more than my teenaged kids would at this point, although they do love to read. One is an English major. Some of my very best childhood memories are of my storbooks. Thanks for sharing this really neat idea.

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is such a great gift! i need to start this next year, but just giving the books to my boys.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE children's books! Maybe this is an idea I could get someone to start for me. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails