Tuesday, April 14, 2009

From work boots to suit coats

Nearly 4 years ago, I said "I do" to a deeply tanned, hardworking carpenter.

A Carpenter Man who strapped on a tool belt and laced up his work boots every single day. A Carpenter Man who always had a pencil tucked behind his ear.

The Carpenter 4

A Carpenter Man who drove a huge, noisy Ford truck.

The Carpenter 3

A Carpenter Man who spent his days measuring, drilling, lifting, calculating, brick laying, concrete pouring, hammering, shingle laying, and doing whatever else it is that hardworking carpenters do.

The Carpenter

Yep, I was living happily ever after holding the calloused hands of my sexy Whoa! This is a family blog! Carpenter Man.

A year after I said "I do", I was married to a soon-to-be Preacher Man.

His dirt stained getup was replaced with freshly ironed suits and shirts and ties. The tool belt was replaced with a backpack ('cause he doesn't do briefcases) filled with commentaries and a Bible and laptop.


The Preacher Man 1

Thumbs up on those new digs, hon!

Honestly, when Josh first announced that he wanted to try his hand at the Seminary, I wasn't exactly thrilled.

Sure I had met this man at a college solely dedicated to the training of pastors and teachers. He had studied Greek and Hebrew. The groundwork for more theological training had been layed out for him.

It should not have come as a surprise to me that Josh was making this career change.

But I was happily content with the comfortable life I led with my Carpenter Man. We were living happily ever after in our little house in a big city close to my hometown in the wonderful state we grew up in.

I wasn't quite ready to give up that life. I wasn't ready to move away from our little home and our family. I wasn't ready to be the Preacher Man's wife.

You might have guessed that, in the 3 years since then, I got over it.

My Preacher Man is happy. How can I not be happy, too? Plus, he'll make a fantastic pastor.

Whether he's building a house or preaching a sermon, Josh is giving a 110%.
I am so proud of my studly, hardworking, God-be-the-glory giving, soon-to-be Preacher Man.

The soon-to-be father of our precious Baby O.

The Preacher Man 2

I can't wait to see the plans the Lord has in store for me and my Preacher Man.

I'm so thankful to be the one standing by his side, holding his (less calloused) hands, and living what is our happily ever after.

And yes, I'm also thankful that all of those Carpenter Man skills can be put to good use around the house. ;-)

Speaking of that....Honey!



21 comments:

  1. Congratulations on 4 years together. You're right - those carpenter skills can always be used!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on 4 years! I think your gonna be a great preacher wife ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carpentar skills are definately a plus when you need some work done around the house:) Congrats on 4 years and to you preacher man for following his calling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Anniversary!! You two seem to be perfect together. Here's to many more!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, congratulations! What a great post!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. my husband used to build houses with his father (who was also a pastor). we met in Bible School. When you think of it...carpentry and preaching go hand in hand...after all, Jesus' earthly father was a carpenter and he was his apprentice :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this post! That picture of the two of you is so great.

    Isn't it neat to see where God takes us in life - some times very unexpected places. It is so encouraging to see your openness to Him!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy anniversary!

    I remember having the same feelings when my husband announced that he wanted to go to seminary! But I was scared to death because I didn't think that I fit the preacher's wife mold....I didn't look like any preacher's wives that I knew and wasn't sure I could do it.

    25 years later and I wouldn't change it for anything!! God gave me and my husband everything we needed to be what HE wanted us to be in the ministry!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Anniversary!!! Well written and yes... I can't wait to watch God's plan unfold in your lives. God bless,

    ReplyDelete
  10. You two are TOO precious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. i've read a lot of anniversary posts but you top them all. what a beautiful "story" and happy ending into the journey ahead for you 2. happy lovie dovie day sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. here's to 4 and many, many more!!! i KNOW you will be a GREAT preacher wife.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You guys really are too cute! It was so neat to read a bit more of your story :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Rachel - that is the sweetest thing. There is NOTHING like a woman standing behind her man...they need our support so much, and I am learning that more and more. Congrats on 4 years!

    And...y'all make a SMOKIN' couple!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Rach,

    This post was so sweet---like warm fuzzy sweet. I loved it! You have a great guy...and just think about your little "PK" that the Lord is sending from South Korea. (((HUGS))

    Happy Anniversary to the happy couple. May God continue to bless your marriage.

    xo,

    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  16. i loved this post...happy 4 years! y'all make a wonderful couple...good lookin' too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is meant as a compliment, and I hope it comes across as one. When I saw that beautiful picture of the two of you together, my thought was, "Wow. They are going to be one of those couples who LOOK like each other in 30-50 years from now. Very sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You and Josh are the cutest couple, and so ready to be parents! Your post makes me want to go hug my sweet man and tell him how much I love him. I don't do it nearly often enough!

    And I know you are going to be one awesome preacher's wife!

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh, do tell me how the transition went!
    i am slightly mortified of being a missionary wife.
    i know God will take care of us, but the journey is a teeny frightening!
    blessings to you.
    xo
    mary

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails