Thursday, May 7, 2009

Referral Day!!!

Thursday, April 23, 2009 began and went on like any other typcial day.

Little did we know.

Josh was busy all day teaching 3 Bible classes. I spent the morning and early afternoon preparing for and helping with a children's program at the Library. After arriving home at 3:30 pm, I picked up the house a little, made some Mac 'n Cheese, and caught up on a few e-mails. As I was checking my
Yahoo! adoption agency group to see if there was any activity, my phone rang.

4:56 PM

Honestly, I thought it was my mom calling. The ring was my normal ring tone (NOT the one of my social worker) so I didn't get excited thinking it was THE CALL. However, when I checked the number, the area code matched that of my social worker (yes, I did pray that it wasn't that old man calling again!) and I knew in my heart that THIS WAS IT!!!!

I answered the phone and Jessie was on the other line......letting me know that she had our referral!!!! She continued to speak to me and I did not hear a word she said. ;-) I had to ask Jessie to repeat herself, which she did, and she said that because she was driving and didn't have the paperwork in front of her, she would call Josh and I back at 6:00 PM.


THE Call

By this time I was pacing around our bedroom. Heart pounding. In shock. Teary-eyed. Over the moon excited. Thanking God with every breath.

I instantly wanted to call Josh to share our news, but he was smack dab in the middle of his 6th grade Bible class and I knew he would not answer his phone. So I had to wait 30 torturous minutes until I could call him.

What did I do during that time, you ask?

I paced up and down the hallway. I jumped up and down with joy. I smiled. I teared-up. I said a prayer.....or 6. I contemplated busting in on the Bible class. Remember the Mac 'n Cheese?? I took it off the stove and stuck the whole pot in the fridge without a second thought. I paced around some more.

Finally at 5:31 I dialed Josh's number. No answer. Tried again at 5:35. Nothing. Called once again at 5:38. Still no answer, so I got in the car and headed over to church to tell him that he was a daddy!

I love the disbelief....followed by the huge smile. Love those dimples.




We rode home in separate cars chatting excitedly on our cell phones. When we arrived, my phone started blaring Cannon in D! It was Jess calling promptly at 6:00, but we weren't even in the house yet so I answered and told her that we would call her back in 1 minute. Once we were all set-up in the kitchen with a notebook and pen (and the video camera), we dialed her number and she shared that we had a son!

There are simply not enough words to describe the feeling of those precious moments. The way we felt to hear the details of our baby boy.

On November 13th, 2008, Ye Joon (meaning talented and excellent....what else would his name mean?!?!) was born in Seoul, South Korea weighing 7.1 lbs.

We were parents!

We made plans to meet Jessie the next morning at 10:00 AM, said a prayer of thanksgiving, quickly got packed, and we were out the door heading to Wisconsin by 8:30. The 5 hour trip flew by as we were on the phone with our parents and families THE ENTIRE TIME! It was amazing to share our news with them! My Mom's reaction was priceless. She was at the home of a dear friend of hers, they realized it was my number calling, and Mom answered crying and screaming my name! She just knew.

We got to our hotel in Wisconsin at 1:30 AM and celebrated with a few sips of Korean soju (thanks Justin & Jenni!)....

Celebrate

Josh had a hard time sleeping that night. Surprisingly, I was completely exhausted and slept like a rock for 3 and a half hours......but once my eyes popped open at 6:30 am, I was wide awake!

We left the hotel around 9 and since we had an hour to kill, we got the oil changed on my car. :-) As we sat in the garage of that Valvoline, my emotions were flying sky high. In less than an hour we would see our baby's face for the first time. We would be able to read over all the details of his paperwork.

Deep breath.

By 9:45 we were parked just down the street from Jessie's home and sat there for 11 minutes until it was close enough to 10:00 to ring her doorbell!

Waiting for 10:00

By 10:00 am we were sitting down at Jessie's kitchen table staring at the photos of our beautiful, handsome, good looking, adorable, cute, precious, sweet little peanut!!!!!!

Josiah Ye Joon

We'd been praying for our baby for SOOOOO long and to finally be able to see his little face was the most incredible feeling in the entire world.

This is our son. Josiah Ye Joon.

We left Jessie's with a huge pile of paperwork and headed over to Kinko's to make some copies of Josiah's photos. I showed Rob, the Kinko's worker, the photos and after seeing how thrilled we were, he hooked us up with tons of copies......including a 11 x 14 of Josiah on his throne. ;-)

By that time, my parents had arrived in Milwaukee to see us and "meet" their grandson! We went out to the parking lot to give them huge hugs and show them the photos. It was an incredible tear-filled moment!

The four of us went to PF Changs to eat lunch and celebrate over some yummy food. Josiah's 3 pictures were propped up in the center of the table, of course!

Photos on the table

We were just glowing with love and pride over our sweet little boy!


Proud Parents

Josiah's grandparents were pretty excited, too. :-)


Grandma and Papa

After lunch we opened up a sweet baby gift from my parents and said good-bye to them. We spent a few more hours in Milwaukee visiting with friends and then started heading back to Indiana.....but before we left Wisconsin, we made a stop to visit my brother Jake's family, including 2 of Josiah's cousins.....these sweet girlies:

Sweet Girls 2

Thursday, April 23, 2009 began like any other day....

....but it turned out to be the day that changed our life! The day we had been praying to come quickly. The day we became parents to our precious baby boy in South Korea. The day we give thanks for. The day that we will never, ever forget.

We hope to travel to Korea late this summer - hopefully in August! We cannot wait to finally hold our sweet boy in our arms.

The Lord knows when that exact day will be, just like He planned that April 23rd would be our referral day. After all........it's all In His Hands!

33 comments:

  1. That was so much fun to read!!! I'm so happy for all three of you. What an amazing day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an incredible story! I'm crying happy tears with the two of you.

    HOW are you going to pass the time until you can go get him? I guess its all part of the process, I just wish you could go get him now.

    Sweet Josiah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful and amazing day! Thank you for sharing it with us, I love to read Referral Day stories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I smiled through this whole post!!!! This was so fun to read!!! I am very happy for you two!!!

    august will be here sooner than you think!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful post, and so exciting!!!! I got all teary-eyed. Praise God! I am so excited for you two!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved reading your story. It is funny because I am crying and then laughing because I did some of the same things. Was making food... put it away didn't eat the rest of the night. Jumped up and down, teared up, and then had to make our agency worker repeat everything about 5 times. Finally she said I am e-mailing all of this so then I just sat and listened. What memories we will never forget. Happy Mother's Day to you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. =) I am so excited for y'all!!! I LOVE that video! It's so precious and wonderful! Congrats, MOM!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tears of JOY for you my friend! It's been amazing to "ride along" through blogland on this journey with you.

    What. A. Day! YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am crying tears of joy for the both of you!! CONGRATULATIONS!!
    I cannot wait to follow your journey to pick up Josiah!!! (Love the name BTW!!!)
    Hugs, Jill

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so Happy for you guys. He is just so darn cute.. Praying that your paperwork moves quickly

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been waiting for this blog post and you did not disappoint! What an amazing story/day you have to remember now! Oh I hope we are in the area around August so we can meet your little boy!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It sounds like the perfect day! And one you will never forget. Josiah is a lucky little guy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Goosebumps and tears!! I'm so glad you had the camera when you told Josh! That rocks! Can't wait to see the video of you meeting Josiah! Too bad I can't fly to Korea with you to do the videography!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful story Rach!! It is amazing to me how perfect God's timing is. God is Good All the time!!!

    Congrats again!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Girl, I'm going to have to start reading your blog with a box of Kleenex next to me - this was INCREDIBLE! I watched the video a couple of times in a row just to hear your sweet voice and see your hubby's face light up!

    I love seeing Josiah's precious face up in your header. God is SO good!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks so much for sharing all the details w/us!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love referral day posts! The ordinary turning into the extraordinary by a (not so) simple phone call (or email).

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just loved reading this! Lots of Joy and tears for you this morning my friend! So wonderful that your family was so supportive and excited and that you were able to share it with them right away!

    It will not be long now until our boys are home and we will both be a mom! I just can't wait! I wish we lived closer for play dates.... Maybe one dy we will meet!

    Enjoy this time of refreshing - thats what I'm calling this time for us anyway... all the longing and waiting is over and the Lord has filled the void with such joy!

    Yee Haw! - Oh by the way - I'm not sure if you ever mailed the gift certificate... It's no big deal, I just did not want you to think I was being rood and not thanking you for it.....

    Happy Friday and thanks for sharing your story!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks so much for sharing your joy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Rachel - this is just beautiful!! I'm so glad you shared each emotion. I oved reading it!!

    Congratulations again. :) So thrilling...

    ReplyDelete
  21. What an awesome story! I am so happy for you and Josh. Josiah is the cutest little guy!! I pray that your wait to get him is very, very short! Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a great referral story! He is just adorable! Your IRL friend, Brittany, gave me the link to your blog, and I'm so glad she did. I am also an adoptive parent, so adoption stories are special to me. :) God's blessings on the rest of your journey, I'll be following along.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gosh! You have to stop making me cry!!! LOVED this! I love following along with you on this journey!

    ReplyDelete
  24. great memories.. ty for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I was just able to watch the video from this entry and I am tearing up. What an awesome moment! Thanks for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ahhh, I LOVED this post Rach!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. It is so neat to read others stories about the day they got "the call". It is such a testimony of God's faithfulness to His children and I totally agree with you...it's a call and a day that changes your life forever! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  28. You know what the best thing about all this is (well, other than the fact that you are getting a baby, of course!)? Is that one day Josiah is going to be able to come back and read all of this and know WITHOUT A SHADOW OF A DOUBT just how much his mommy & daddy loved him and prayed for him, even before they knew his name. I think that is the best gift a child can get in this day & age.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Yay! I am so excited for you! I just love your hubby's happy laugh in the video. It was just precious!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Rachel, I found your blog last night and have been catching up on your story! It's so refreshing to "meet" another mom who is a believer and has gone through the adoption journey that we are in right now. I had to comment on this post because I just finished crying! What a WONDERFUL day this was getting your referral call! I cannot wait. I am looking forward to reading more about your beautiful family. Come visit us on our blog if you have time! -Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  31. I LOVE THIS POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  32. I LOVED READING THIS POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-D

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails