Sunday, May 10, 2009

What does your sign say?

I woke up today with a smile on my face knowing that a precious little boy - a world a way - is my son.

Today my dear husband will pamper me and sweet church goers will congratulate me on our new addition.

Happy Mother's Day!

Looking back at years past, happy was not definitely not a word I would have used to describe this day. Mother's Day was a day that I dreaded for the first 3 years Josh and I were married. The other 364 days of the year were difficult when suffering with infertility....but Mother's Day was always harder. A day full of reminders that I was not what I so desperately wanted to be.

Today I am so blessed to be a mother, but I will never ever forget the path that brought me here.

Every woman's journey toward motherhood is different. Similar paths may be shared, but each family is truly unique...

Some may suffer the pain of infertility.
Some may miscarry a precious child they will never hold in their arms.
Some may adopt the child of their heart.
Some may have only a few precious moments, hours, or days with their sweet newborn baby.
Some may never know these heartaches, but instead carry burdens of their own.

The song in the video below is sung by Kellie Coffey. It's a song for those who long to be blessed with a child. A song that I and so many others can relate to.....




What does your sign say?

I am honored to hold a sign that says "Josiah's Mommy!".

Yet, behind that sign would be others that tell the story of our journey to parenthood.

On this Mother's Day, as I look at the photos of Josiah's sweet face my eyes fill with tears of overwhelming joy. After waiting 4 years for this blessing, it takes my breath away to know that this little boy has made me a mother. All of tears that were shed, every heartache, every day spent waiting and wondering was SO worth it.

Today I think of & celebrate both Josiah Ye Joon's birth mother and foster mother. I have so many thoughts about these 2 incredible women, but have yet to find the right words to express those feelings......but He knows what's on my heart and I pray that He gives me the words when the time is right.

For those who are still on the journey to motherhood, I pray for you today.
For those who have lost precious babies, you are in my prayers as well.
For those who have never known these heartaches, I hope that you take a few moments today to pray for the women who are still waiting to be mothers. I pray that you cherish every single second with your children and hold them close while the rest of us wait until we can finally hold our little ones in our arms.

No matter what your sign says - whether it reads "Mother of 4" or "Trying for 4 years" or "Waiting for my Mr. Right", I encourage all of us to give thanks for the blessings we have been given and to take comfort in the Lord's immeasurable love:

"I pray that out of His glorious riches He may strengthen you with power through His Spirit in your inner being so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge - that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.

Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to Him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen."


To all of you, a very Happy Mother's Day! For today is a special day to celebrate ALL women.....for ALL of you are special to Him.

Mom and Me

I love you, Mom! Happy Mother's Day!




19 comments:

  1. Happy mother's day to YOU, Rach! Here's hoping next mother's day you will be holding little Josiah in your arms!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have loved that video for a while now.....it is INCREDIBLE!

    Happy Mother's Day Josiah's mommy!!!! Enjoy your day!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Mother's Day Josiah's Mommy! Just as you yearn to have your arms filled with him so does he yearn to be with his forever family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Mother's Day, Rach! - I just love saying that to you! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Mother's Day to us!!!
    This has been a very hard day for me for years too. But as you said...it's been all worth it to be HERE as our babies mom!
    Thanks for writing what I was feeling today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post made me cry and smile at the same time. It's beautiful! I loved the video....

    my sign would say: "Mom of three after years of infertility"

    and I am so blessed to have all 3 of them here with me today!

    Happy Mother's Day dear friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was looking forward to what you were going to post today.
    I loved it.
    I struggle with how easy it was for me, and why it was easy for me and hard for others...
    God gave me two healthy children, for that I am speechless.
    Happy Mother's day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. AMEN to every word in this post. Thanks for writing them !
    Oh how it was difficult some years ago...
    oh how it's wonderful now to be "mom of 2 adopted treasures".
    4 years between our wedding and our daughter's adoption
    4 years to wait for our son
    AND I feel so blessed.
    Our journeys are so similar !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both times I found out I was going to be a mother happened to be Sunday mornings, right before Church...I smiled the whole service knowing that I was finally going to be a mommy! Happy Mothers Day Rachel!!!! I am as excited for you as I was for myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you celebrated BIG today! It is a special day for all of us to rejoice in the precious mothers God gave us and to thank Him for giving us the same privilege. Little Josiah is one lucky little boy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Isn't it funny how a holiday that caused so much pain can now bring so much joy? I love Mother's Day now because it's yet another day I thank God for my children and recognize how incredibly lucky I am to be the mother of my two angels. I know that you feel the same about Josiah. You are all lucky to have one another!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Rachel for this post...it really touched me.

    My sign would read "Waiting patiently for His timing."

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy First Mothers day to you Rachel.
    I love reading your blog because you are so real and so honest. Every Mother's day to me has been about celebrating my mother and mother-n-law. This year it was painful as I am desiring to be a Mom. I cried for a few moments after a long day of visiting my MIL's church and seeing several women pregnant. And I thought maybe I was just crazy or over emotional or something. Then I read your blog. sharing about how mother's days in the past have been hard for you, it reminded me that I am not the only person that feels this way. So thank you.I loved the video/song too. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Rach,
    Loved this post. :) I shared with a dear friend who I know can relate. Happy Mother's day!!! I love ya and miss ya like crazy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This was really beautifully written!

    Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I thought about you on Sunday. I wondered how you were feeling... and remembering the joy of my first mother's day.

    so incredibly happy for you!

    xoxox!

    ReplyDelete
  17. i found this video about a year and a half ago and watched it over an over and cried and cried. i have held a few of those signs too, but am now blessed to hold one that says Cohen's mommy! i'm excited about your new sign too! happy mother's day to a wonderful momma!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I so get this...I remember crying on the mothers day before I finally was pregnant...it was a difficult day. But now...sweet smiles & praising!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails