Thursday, June 4, 2009

Lacey & Ernie

Ernie1

After talking to my parents last week, I learned that our family dog, Ernie, has an enlarged heart. He is now on medication and can carry on with his life as usual under the close eye of my doting parents.

Even with the news that he would be ok, my eyes were stinging with tears.

As I was trying to fall asleep last night, my mind wandered to the joy that two tiny dogs have brought to our family...

Lacey, our white Peekapoo, joined us when I was about 4 years old. I clearly remember cuddling her for the first time while sitting in between my older brothers in the backseat of the car. Our dream of having a dog had come true! Little did we know - even in our giddy excitement - just how much that sweet, but feisty girl would become a part of our family.


Me and Lacey

When I was in highschool, we surprised my dad with a special Christmas gift...a black and white Shih Tzu puppy that we named Ernie. From day 1, Ernie's unique and lively personality captured our hearts. He and Lacey formed a love/hate relationship and became inseparable...she the wise old leader, he the spunky young puppy.

Lacey & Ernie

Before I left for college, I was so nervous that Lacey & Ernie wouldn't remember me or that they'd be upset with me for leaving them for months at a time while I was at school. My worries were for not, of course, as the two 4-legged family members were always the 1st to happily greet me when I walked through the door.

Family Christmas photo

Lacey passed away, at the age of 19, a few months after Josh and I were married. (Yes, you read that correctly - 19! She was certainly in the running for the world's oldest dog.) We're sure that Ernie's youthful spirit kept her young....or maybe it was her diet of only hot dogs that did the trick!

Lacey and Ernie are simply dogs to everyone looking in, but they have never been just dogs to us. They are dear friends, family members, companions, and entertainers. They are loyal, humorous, loving, and sweet. They are never too busy, never judgmental, never hurtful. They've been there for birthdays, graduations, weddings, holidays, bad days, good days, and every day in between. Every single day.

Ernie1

I am going to WI next week and I'm confident that Ernie will be the first one to welcome me home as I walk through the door. I'll pet his graying hair and thank him for being such a faithful friend. He deserves a word of thanks after bringing us so much joy and for loving us all unconditionally since the moment my dad "unwrapped" him that Christmas day.

And when I have to leave again, Ernie will sit by the front window - his way of saying goodbye - and I'll wave to my friend....his oversized heart and all.

A dog has no use for fancy cars, big homes, or designer clothes. A water log stick will do just fine. A dog doesn't care if you're rich or poor, clever or dull, smart or dumb. Give him your heart and he'll give you his. How many people can you say that about? How many people can make you feel rare and pure and special? How many people can make you feel extraordinary?

~ Marley & Me



10 comments:

  1. aww that was a sweet post. We love our 4 legged families just like ya'll. I hope the medication helps him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant to put family members, but I am sure you already figured that out...:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. awwww! i am a sucker for a good doggie story! i hope the medication does the trick!

    our dogs are our family, too :) .

    ReplyDelete
  4. awe... great post. they do become like little furry family members, don't they?

    i can't bring myself to watch marley & me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. my "fur baby" snores by my side as a read your post! Great thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sniff sniff...what a endearing post. Give Ernie a hug from us too!
    Hugs, Jill

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet post! My Roxy says "Hi Ernie!"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a sweet post.

    Guess what? My childhood (all the way to college) dog was a shitzu (with the same coloring as Ernie) and his name was Bernie.

    Gosh, I loved that dog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this post. Marley and Me made me CRY like a baby. Your dogs seem just like siblings to you. :) Have you heard anything about your Legals yet? Praying for our journeys together. How is Josiah doing? Blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh. what precious puppies. God is so good to give us animals to enrich our lives.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails