Tuesday, October 27, 2009

the bench

There is a bench in a park that overlooks the water.

To most folks that sit on it, it's just a regular ol' bench, but to me it's something more.


bench 1

It's a place where I used to occasionally go to when I was feeling overwhelmed with the burden of infertility. It's a place where I quietly cried as my heart ached to be a mother. It's a place where my arms were always empty. It's a place where I asked my Lord to bless Josh and I with a baby.

As I would sit on the bench and stare out over the waters that were formed by the Almighty's very own hands, I would often be filled with peace. A calmness that only He can give out. I would always leave with a renewed hope in the One who loved me and had perfect plans for our family.


Even so, I used to wish that a glimpse into the future would be possible. If only I could take a peek at what He had in store for us! But that is not how God works. He chooses to keep those special plans to Himself while he prepares us for them.

bench 3

Last week I sat on that bench in a park that overlooks the water with my son. Unlike the many times before, this time my arms were full. The heart that used to carry a burden now only felt joy. The eyes that cried tears of wanting now were wet with thanksgiving.

As I cuddled the babe I had prayed hundreds of times for on that same bench, the emotions of the past came flooding back. With Josiah's dark eyes staring into mine, I told him why that place was special, how much his daddy and I love him, and most importantly that Jesus loves him.

bench 2

Now that we've been blessed with our child, the prayers said on the bench have turned to ones for all women who are still waiting to be mothers. That God would bring them the peace and comfort He brought to me so many times. That they would follow His lead and trust in His incredible plans.

There is a bench in a park that overlooks the water.

My son likes

playing by it while his mam

a enjoys the sw

eet view...

bench 4

Sweet view indeed.

24 comments:

  1. So lovely. Nice to be on the other side of all the tough stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel, tears in my eyes...absolutely beautiful. This is such a wonderful post! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful, encouraging post - thank you for that today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did the same thing with a little ice cream shop and park. It was an unforgettable moment the first time we were able to bring our son there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE this post! LOVE it. I have a similar spot by the lake nearby. I know what you mean.

    LOVE the shot of J peeking through the bench. So.SOOO.Cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful. Simply, beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rachel...seriously, you always make me cry!!! I'm goin to stop reading your posts soon....no, just kidding! I love your way with words! Thanks for sharing your bench with me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was a lovely post with beautiful photos. I'm so glad you brought J back to this special place. It must have felt so GOOD.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A sweet view indeed! How precious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I so feel you in this post. It feels so good to have arms that are full.

    I love that the Lord had made this bench a place you can go to see his answer to prayer. He is so faithful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i have chills and tears. . . what a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is one of the most beautiful posts I have ever read. It was so heartfelt and kind. Reading it gave me goosebumps.

    And the pictures...are you kidding me? He is absolutely darling! I love the first one where he is peeking through the bench!

    My husband and I have a 5 year old bio. son. We are waiting for our son in Korea to travel to be with us, his forver family! The waiting is hard for all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow that was so touching. Truly beautiful irony and I just love the pictures of your little one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. ABSOLUTELY Beautiful! I am so happy for you to have him in your arms. Isn't it amazing to know that God saw Josiah in your arms all along, He was just waiting for him to be born.
    Blessings,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sweet, lovely, brought tears to my eyes post.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful view...both from the bench and your life!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this post. I used to walk in the woods not far from our home for the same reasons. Your spot is beautiful and even more so with Josiah there.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey there! I've just started following your blog. This is absolutely beautiful! I'm so glad to hear there's hope to be on the other side.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is sure a grab the tissue kind of moment. Thanks for sharing God's greatness for you and giving me a glimps to your heart as a mother.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Rachel I love this SO much!! Your pictures are amazing!! Really - you do such a good job with photography as well as expressing your heart. This is one of my favorite of all time uses of words and photo's to tug on the emotions... :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful. Love the photo of Josiah's sweet eyes shining through the bench.

    Our children are such a blessing!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails