Monday, February 22, 2010

old stomping grounds

A few weeks ago, Josiah and I took a short road trip to visit my old stomping grounds. It just so happens that my mom, Julie, is the secretary at the highschool I graduated from....and my dad, Dean, coaches the Freshman boys basketball team there, as well.

As you can imagine, Si's grandparents were tickled pink to have their grandson (oh, and their daughter, too!) around for the day...

After the games

See the joy?!

So our first stop was at the office, where a "mob" had formed to greet Josiah with lots of ooohs and ahhhs. G-ma Julie had balloons out for Josiah and within seconds he was ramming around like he owned the place. It was great for me to chat and catch up with teachers and friends I hadn't seen in a while!

Si with balloons

Eventually we made our way down to the gym. The same gym where I attended countless games, sweated through gym classes, talked endlessly with friends, sang in Christmas concerts, served on the senior Homecoming Court, and graduated. It's amazing how one place can hold so many memories.

Anyway, back to our visit. My dad's b-ball players were getting warmed up for their game. Josiah looked pretty cute chilling with Papa Dean on the bench before the game started!

This was Si's first sporting event, so I wasn't sure if he'd be interested at all in what was happening. Turns out he LOVED it! My never-sit-still-for-a-single-minute toddler sat on my lap for the entire first half completely mesmerized while I cheered and gabbed with my mom and the other people sitting with us.

After Papa Dean's game ended (they won!), we headed to the concession stand for a yummy pizza supper and more chatting...

si with g-ma

We got to see my sweet and talented cousin, Emily, who is on the cheer squad! Josiah adores her. So do I...

Si with Emily 2

I figured we would have to head out early since the Varsity game started after Josiah's normal bedtime, but before I knew it the games were finished for the night and Si was still going strong! He was like the Energizer Bunny - dancing, playing, clapping his little heart out. And when the gym had nearly cleared, he toddled around the wide open space until he couldn't go any longer...

Si on gym floor

Well, at least until Emily came around to play with him...

Si with Emily

One of the best moments of the night, by far, was me showing off some of my excellent cheerleading moves...

cheer

*Snort*.

Umm, yeah. Who am I kidding? I never was a highschool cheerleader, but whatever. I was in the moment. Si thought I was very cool. :-)

All in all it was a fun night! It was wonderful to spend time with folks I hadn't seen in a while. Josiah had a blast. I was proud to show him off to everyone. My parents loved having us there and LOVED that we spent the night!

After the games

This post about our little road trip back to my highschool has me thinking....when's the last time you visited your old stomping grounds?




20 comments:

  1. What a fun visit! I LOVE the pic of Josiah spread out on the gym floor. He looks like he had a great time! Oh, my--I can't remember the last time I was at my old stomping grounds. Probably four years ago when I went back to my college!

    ReplyDelete
  2. seriously that is so precious!!!!!! how amazing to have your son where you went to school and your family is too cute and geez i just love this post for some extra reasonn its so heart warming :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What FUN!!! I love the reminiscing. Ah, high school... and to be able to take your son back? Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. every picture in this post is awesome! especially you and Si bustin' a move - he totally thinks you rock!

    and HS, it's been a long time - but not long enough! ha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun road trip! I love the picture of Si sprawled out on the gym floor.

    High School...let's just say that it has been a long time - more than 20 years!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's been way to long for me. I'n due a trip soon...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhh...I love this whole post! So fun for your parents to show of Si to all their friends and students. So fun for Si to see the big kids playing ball and cheering. So fun for you to revisit your youth.
    I'm glad you are enjoying yourself with your new SAHM gig :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, this is ridiculously awesome! What a cool memory for you all!

    Old stomping grounds... hmmm... I can't wait to take S to my alma mater for a b-ball game (but he needs to be a little older for me to justify the expense since that's quite a road trip!) Maybe back into Boston to visit some of my favorite parks. Hmmm... maybe once we lose this nasty bug!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it's amazing that you brought *your son* back to your old stomping grounds! SO much fun!!! (I haven't been back to my own HS in a very, very, very long time!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. how fun! it looks like you guys had a blast :-) my old stomping grounds don't exist anymore :( it was a small private school and they've since been absorbed into another school... i still have memories though :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun day/evening with family & friends! It does the heart good to go back and reconnect sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The pictures are so cute. I definitely believe that your sweet boy is deeply loved :)
    Blessings,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rach- I love it! Of course I especially love the picture of you busting out your cheerleading moves! :) I wish I could have been there... it's been far to long since I've been back to Winnie-lou!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fun post! LOVE the picture of you and Si bustin' a cheerleading move, ha! And great picture of you & Si with the proud grandparents :)

    I now live in the town I grew up in so I am surrounded by old stomping grounds, sigh. I cannot wait to take X where we went to college though - maybe this fall for the homecoming game.

    ReplyDelete
  15. what a great trip! Looks like you guys had a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks like you guys had a GREAT time :) Love the pic of Si on the gym floor...so cute!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. How fun. Looks like Josiah LOVED every minute of it. YAY.

    As for visiting old stomping grounds...it has been AGES. I don't think many (if any) of the same teachers/staff are at my old H.S. anymore. I did go to my 20th H.S. reunion about 1.5 hrs ago...gulp.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ummm...did I just say "hrs" ago...nope...I meant "yrs" as in YEARS. oops. Tired. Yep.

    ReplyDelete
  19. These pix are precious and oh. so. fun. It's always great to relive some old memories... and to sometimes see just how far you've come. You know, like say... motherhood? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's actually been quite a while, even though I go back home fairly often. Sounds like fun, though. May have to do this soon.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails