Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Unwrapped

Grocery shopping sits at the top of my I-don't-want-to-do-this-errand-but-will-only-because-I-have-to list. It's not the actual shopping that bothers me, but rather the constant necessary price comparison, the loading and unloading of the bags, and the inevitable cramming of items into the fridge that should've been cleaned out before I even went to the store.

Nope, not my cup of tea. Thankfully Josh enjoys it....or maybe he just fears going hungry so he just does it. Either way, LOVE that man. However, now that I'm home during the day much more, I decided to bite the bullet and shop for groceries the last month.

So one sunny day last week, Josiah and I hit the local supermarket. We shopped and chatted and purchased. As I took my receipt the pretty bagging lady mentioned what bad timing it was to be leaving at that time. Through the double doors I could see the rain coming down in sheets.

What happened to the sun? Why did I waste that ten minutes actually doing my hair this morning? Why hadn't I checked the forecast so I could be wearing rainboots instead of flats?

rainboots

"Lovely", I muttered as I wheeled our cart towards the exit....and remembered that our car now sat in the farthest aisle in the nearly last parking space. Within seconds both Si and I (and the groceries) were soaked.

I was about to say "Sorry sweetie" when Josiah titled his head back and giggled. My one year old lifted his arms toward the sky and started "catching" the rain as he clapped his wet little hands.

And his mama joined him with a smile. The moment was a small, unexpected (albeit wet) gift unwrapped. A moment that could've been buried by the unexpected downpour or the rush of the day. I'm so thankful it wasn't.

Maybe grocery shopping isn't so bad after all...especially with a sweet boy along for the ride.


I recently found Emily at Chatting at the Sky. She is a lovely, witty fellow pastor's wife who takes fabulous photos and has an eye for fabulous home decor. If you're interested pop over to her place to read more Tuesday chats about unwrapping the gifts of everyday life.




22 comments:

  1. this warmed my heart! such a wonderful reminder to enjoy even the hardest parts of the day! thank you for sharing!

    and i hear ya on the grocery shopping! it stresses me out to buy what i need at 3 different stores!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that Si made a dreadful moment into a joyous moment. I will have to check out Emily's website. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. nothing brightens your day like a child and pure joy! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post! What a great way to take something special out of an ordinary day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's official, you have one of my favorite blogs and this post is why. I love your take on life :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great perspective! I happen to love grocery shopping... but it's not nearly as fun when it's raining out!

    Have you seen the "Gift of a Perfectly Ordinary Day" video on the blogosphere? I think you would love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. love it! What a wonderful perspective you have!! I can just imagine Si's joy from getting rained on... and it's making me smile right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the rain... and little toddlers loving the rain! I'm glad that you got an unexpected gift in the rain!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love to play in the rain. and i love this post. i would have thought first of my hair, too... but i like t think my second thought would have been the puddles. i love to splash in them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks for sharing that!!! it put a smile on my face :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad to have found your blog through Emily's. What a sweet post- every moment with our kids is special!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a sweet little story! Love your coat and boots btw...so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love when times like that happen...just as we are dreading something, leave it to a little one to show the joy in it! My kids love playing in "God's original sprinkler system" :-)

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah, to see the world through a child's eyes. They have such a refreshing perspective on life. Love the story; thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great moment. I'm sure it'll be a favorite memory for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the reminder to enjoy the little things! We don't have to let everything ruin our day. We can choose to look at things with different eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  17. it really is the simple things in life that bring so much joy...thanks for sharing your favorite gifts with all of us.

    !!LOVE your boots!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. How precious!! Children are such a joy!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a neat story! Kids always find the good in a yucky situation!

    ReplyDelete
  20. love how those sweet babes haven't yet learned our adult ambivalence toward the simple pleasures ... what a sweet post!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love how God pours His grace down on us sometimes when we are least expecting such an offering. I can just picture Si's chubby little hands clapping and his sweet, smiling face looking up at the rain. This post made my heart smile.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails