Tuesday, June 8, 2010

the bridge. you know the one.

There is a bridge that my son walks back and forth on each day.

crossing bridge
It's the bridge that, God willing, all small kiddos eventually step unto and cross. The one that promises experience and freedom and excitement and challenges.

The bridge between baby and big boy.

You know the one.

crossing bridge 5
I have the privilege of watching my Josiah walk his bridge of toddler-hood. At first he stumbled often or needed me to carry him a lot of the time, but now he practically runs across. He's gaining confidence and independence and understands more and more each day. I'm so proud to watch him discover, learn, and try.

crossing bridge 2
Si is a year and a half old.

And right now I see him standing near the middle of that bridge where there is a beautiful, precious, perfect balance of baby and big boy. It's a time when he will run and climb and make decisions, but then fall asleep on my chest with his blankie snuggled against his nose. A time when he so desperately wants to do things on his own in his way, but equally wants me close by.

I adore it and I {sometimes selfishly} hope this balance lasts for a very long while. Like many mothers, there is absolutely no greater joy than watching my little one grow....but there's a big part of me that wants to hold on to the baby. The tiny person who wants only me and needs to be cuddled and carried. And has hair that smells like heaven.

crossing bridge 3
I fully embrace this bridge of toddler-hood {although I could do without the tantrums that come out occasionally!} as well as every single bridge that will come after. I teach, watch, cheer, correct, snuggle, hold by breath, laugh, encourage, and help Si when needed. But most importantly, I enjoy and love. Always.

And when my busy boy turns back to make sure I am there and grabs my hand to walk with him, my heart sings. Because right now there's nothing better than a little one who needs his mama just as much as she needs him.


crossing bridge 4

20 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful post. So great to be a mama.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is nothing better than watching your child grow...though it also is hard to let go :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, Rachel...you have me in tears. An absolutely beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Motherhood is so heartbreaking, isn't it? Each day I cry and laugh and watch my baby grow. They'll always be our babies, no matter how old they get :)
    Well said, Rachel :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved every part of this. Every part.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a sweet, sweet post. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. {sigh} I can't tell you how many days I feel like this. Nick is 5. F-I-V-E and I can't seem to wrap my head around that! He is still my little boy. I can't -eventhinkabout-when he starts dating..maybe we could I don't know dismantle the bridge a little, so they'll have to rebuild it which will take more time...time spent with their mamas?? Oh, sorry we're suppose to be enjoying watching them learn, but I could enjoy watching them learn to build, couldn't you?

    ReplyDelete
  8. as I prepare to send my boy to college, I realize that as much as I would love to go back and snuggle that sweet little baby again, I would never want to miss this part....the pride in my heart as I watch him step out on his own is enormous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You write so beautifully! I feel the exact same way about Noah but could never put it into words nearly as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful pictures...and words! So very true.

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh my! so beautiful! love that last picture!

    everyday i see more and more boy and less baby. sniff. it's so bittersweet for a mama :).

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVED all the pics. He is getting so big...but he's still so PRECIOUS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is beautiful. Sometimes I am sad that my baby is almost 13 months old and I haven't even met him yet. But you reminded me that I won't miss all of the cuddling and kisses. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such a beautiful post. These words and pictures say what every mother feels so perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  15. keep on enjoying and loving Si...and we will keep on enjoying and loving all your beautiful pictures and posts!

    ReplyDelete
  16. love it. Absolutely beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful post Rachel - thanks for reminding me to soak up all these times when our baby is still on this side of the bridge!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a wonderful post!! I love this Rachel. He'll always be your baby :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a lovely post and beautiful photos. Sigh...our babies are growing up, aren't they?

    Happy 18 months, Si!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails