Tuesday, September 7, 2010

on bedtime

sleep 2
There's something about his bedtime.

It's {more often than not} the same every time.

I hug him close and place him in his toddler bed. I turn out the light and he immediately folds his little hands. I whisper the prayer and sing the song. It's dark, but I can see the smile that appears from under his nukie. He knows we're talking to Jesus.

The first one to get a good-night kiss is Blue {the beloved blankey bear}. This always makes him laugh. He then points to the foot of the bed where Buddy {the Korean doll} sits. I kiss Buddy and my boy giggles.

I say "Good night Josiah YeJoon. Mama loves you. Sweet dreams". I kiss his forehead three times.

His eyes meet mine and in this still, hushed moment I feel like my heart might burst.

Because I know he feels loved. And he loves back so fiercely.

I think about the bumpy {nearly 12 month} road it has been for him to achieve falling asleep alone and sleeping through the night and I am thankful. I think of the long road it's been for us to weave this strong bond. For that I am thankful. For him I am thankful.

I linger for a moment and touch his hair and cheek. I walk to the door and close it tight.

There's just something about his bedtime that makes the very last moments of our day some of my favorite.


*****

Find more gifts to be Unwrapped at Emily's on Tuesdays


29 comments:

  1. oh my goodness, i think my heart might burst from just reading this. so very touching. what a sweet sweet relationship you have with your son! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post, it made me want to cry (in a good way).

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH that is just such a beautiful post! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful words and a beautiful boy. What an amazing gift you are unwrapping today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your son is beautiful. Thanks for this reminder to cherish bedtimes; too often I rush through it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! Sweet moments. Precious post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet picture to go along with such beautiful words!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The photo is great, lovely and delicate. And you story is really touching, it made my heart melt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Simply SWEET!
    I love hearing about the different bedtime rituals. I also love those nukie smiles! Ah, memories.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You captured the scene with such beautiful imagery. Savour the time that he is little, in my experience the years fly by all too fast. I wish I had documented these moments like you just have.
    Visiting you from www.semplydone.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a sweet post! Si looks so precious sleeping, and I'm glad to hear that he is doing so well sleeping on his own!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so sweet Rachel! It sounds like you had a long road getting there. We are on that rough road now. It is good to hear that it can finally come together. If you have any helpful hints for us, I'd love to hear it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, what a beautiful post! He sounds like an adorable little boy with a great mommy that cherishes every moment with him.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is so sweet! I'm so glad that bedtime has become such a wonderful routine. It is definitely cherished time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. love this. and i LOVE bedtime too. such a special moment each night.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I know what you mean by smiling behind the paci. Oh, how sweet! And your little boy is precious!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful post...tear!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, so sweet! This was such a beautiful post, Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  19. those smiles under the 'nukies' are the best! precious.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Aww..tears in my eyes..just over from Chatting...beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  21. HOW SWEET! Those little ones are just walking LOVE bombs, aren't they?
    The other night Sam wouldn't let me leave the room without kissing EVERY.SINGLE.ONE. of the 6 stuffed animals/babies she sleeps with....I almost forgot about Lambie!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Awwww...thanks for sharing this special time.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Some of the very best moments ever, for sure! I'm so glad that bedtime/sleeping is getting easier. Nighttime can be such a challenge! Love this photo - so precious!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a sweet, special post! Thank you for sharing some of your special time with your little guy.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love how you capture this special moment you share with Si every night.

    ReplyDelete
  26. that photo of your boy is precious. such a beautiful post. i love bedtime and all the special moments that go along with it :).

    ReplyDelete
  27. Awww, Rach! This is beautiful. Sweet mama and her boy.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails