Thursday, September 23, 2010

that first day.one year ago

September 21, 2009

We woke and got ready and lugged our heavy bags to the lobby.

A mix of anxiety and excitement filled me on the day when joy and grief intertwined.

It rained like there was no tomorrow. Our first day of bad weather in Seoul.

Our taxi driver drove like there was no tomorrow. He promised he would get us there on time, but it became clear as we got closer that he didn't know exactly where to go.

We couldn't be late. The plane wouldn't wait for us.

My stomach was in knots. My worried eyes met Josh's worried eyes.

Thank goodness for Jay. Over the phone, he gave the driver exact directions.

We made it. Just a few minutes late. I wanted to hug him in thanks, but instead I gave the cab driver a high-five through the window.

Relieved, we sank into the cream couch in the lobby. We waited. Paced the hall. Peered out the window.

The social worker stood on the front steps and looked back and forth through the rain.

It was getting too late.

We would just leave on a different flight.

But then they came.

Josiah YeJoon strapped to his foster father's chest. His foster mother carried a little paper bag filled with bananas and rice porridge and the beloved blanket.

She hugged her boy good-bye and sobbed and sobbed. My heart broke.

His foster father took him in his arms and kissed him. Then he handed him to me.

The social worker said it was time.

Through tears I said thank you, thank you, thank you to the two people who loved on and cared for our son for 10 months. I meant it with everything in me.

I hugged her tight - the son we share between us.

And then I stepped into rain with my new baby in my arms and climbed into the van just before my husband.

This was it. So real and so sad and so joyful.

We drove through the rain as we cried and smiled and snuggled. The busyness of Seoul was left behind as we came closer to the airport.

Our plane did not leave without us. We had just enough time to check in and complete paperwork, play and eat.

My husband baptized our son in a far, quiet corner of the terminal. And on this day that we became family, he also entered into God's family. It was simple and beautiful and powerful.

We stepped on the plane and soon we were in the air.

Sad to be leaving behind Josiah YeJoon's beautiful country and families and heritage.

Thankful to be together and to begin a new journey.

367 days ago {a year ago this Tuesday} we became a family. And honestly, not a one goes by when I don't think back to that first day and give thanks to God for this most precious gift.

Happy Family Day, Josiah YeJoon! We love you more and more and more.

saying goodbye 1
Leaving Korea 3
Leaving Korea with Daddy
Leaving Korea 2
Leaving Korea 7
Leaving Korea 5
welcome home 6
welcome home 5 b&w
welcome home 3
1st time in carseat 1
Day 1
welcome home 7
welcome home 4
First days home 6


18 comments:

  1. He's so precious. What a beautiful post

    ReplyDelete
  2. happy family day! i cried while reading your post. it stirred up so many emotions in me. thank you for sharing your beautiful photos and memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that your husband baptized Josiah right there in the airport. So powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Family Day! My eyes were definitely tearing up reading this post. I love the pictures of your first day together--Si was so little and snuggly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Rach, what a beautiful day that was and you've written about it so powerfully. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I just can't believe how much Si has grown and changed in a year! He was and is still so precious! Happy Family Day to all 3 of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. what precious, precious photos! i've loved your recaps since i wasn't following you when it was actually happening!
    and how cool that josh baptized si at the airport!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful, beautiful post! It has me all emotional over here. I love all the little moments you captured on film... and I LOVE that Si was baptized in the airport. What a wonderful collection of memories!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved reading about the details and memories of such an amazing and special day. I had also secretly wondered when you had Si baptized - and love that it was powerful and perfect and done by his daddy.

    Thanks for the great photos and memories and happy family day!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So, so sweet! It made me all teary too. :) Of course now that I have met him and experienced his sweetness, it makes it all the more emotional to read.
    Very beautiful post Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Of course I cried. Such a beautiful and powerful post.
    Happy Family Day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful post! I got all weepy reading it. Happy family day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad I'm not alone in getting all teary reading this. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful! I know just what you mean...trying to get the words "thank-you" out of your mouth while you're sobbing and trying to take it all in...just unforgettable.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Family Day!!
    That picture of Si and his foster mother made me cry. So poignant.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Family Day! It's amazing how time passes. What wonderful memories you shared. Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That post gave me goose bumps--what a beautiful beginning to your family!! I cannot wait to be on the other side of this adoption journey...home as a family! Thank you for sharing the emotions of your journey.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails