Saturday, November 20, 2010

a Christmas shoebox

Josiah and I hunted down an empty shoebox from our front closet this morning.

operation christmas child 1
And then we strolled the aisles of a store while we carefully chose items for a little boy - about Si's age - who lives somewhere across the globe.

Josiah would examine each toy or book and then hold it up and say "buddy!".

"Yep, a gift for your new friend." I replied each time. And I smiled because I realized a giving heart can bloom so early....even before little ones can truly grasp the concept.

After we finished our shopping trip, we headed home and spread out the goodies in front of us.

Operation Christmas Child 10
Operation Christmas Child 3
OCC Mosaic 1
We wrapped the outside of the shoebox we found earlier with festive Christmas paper. We wrote a little note in a card with snowflakes on the front and included our photo, too.

gifts 6
OCC Mosaic 2
As we packed the goodies for Si's new friend in the shoebox, I thought of the joy each simple item would bring to that precious little boy. I also thought of the Bible passage from Acts 20 that says "It is more blessed to give than to receieve."

Oh so true.

And I pray that my heart and my husband's heart and our small son's heart will always carry that.

When the shoebox lid was closed tight, we prayed for that little buddy across the globe.

Operation Christmas Child 4
Operation Christmas Child 8
Operation Christmas Child 9
Then my Si, without any prompting, sealed the box with a kiss....

Operation Christmas Child 6
I love my sweet boy.

Finally, here is a video of Josiah chatting about the shoebox....



Gotta love that Christmas spirit!

Operation Christmas Child is collecting shoe boxes like the one we put together through Monday. The boxes will be delivered at Christmas time to children who are in need around the world. You can find information here and drop off locations here!

**Is there an organization or event that your family supports each year around Christmas time? I'd love to hear about them! Perhaps others will be inspired to give to the same/a similar cause.**

**On a side note, does anyone else have their Christmas music blaring already?!? All of the lovely, cheerful songs are making my days even brighter!**





15 comments:

  1. WOnderful post, he is so sweet! We packed our box last week, although P is too young to know, I love that this is a global program and hope to help for your to come. Yes, music on and one tree is up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished packing mine tonight! It is always so much fun to shop for it and put it together. I just love thinking about that sweet child opening that box for the first time!

    Love that video of your sweet boy. I could just eat him up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a special thing to do with Si! I loved the video of Si, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is just the sweetest thing I've ever seen! We packed up out box today and are dropping it off at church tomorrow. :) What a phenomenal ministry! Josiah seems like the sweetest, most tender-hearted boy. We are adopting from South Korea, so I love your blog!

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Operation Christmas Child! And I LOVE that Si is giving already!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. that was the cutest thing ever!!!!

    We used to do this with our kids.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely thing to do with Si. I remember well the giving we did for those less fortunate at the holidays, and it has stuck with me. It's so important to teach those things to children when they're young.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love reading about your OCC box! I'm living vicariously since we were supposed to get ours done last week, but with the illness we had to ask a friend to do it for us. Luckily there are still many opportunities to give back, which is what I keep telling myself... right?!

    (Also, I *love* Si's hair here... LOVE it!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. How sweet it is that Josiah is learning to give at his young age. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is one of my favorite traditions...we've been doing this for years now and i can't wait to fill one together *with* carson next year -- hopefully he will be just as excited as si...that video is so precious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is so important to give back all year, but especially around Christmas. I love that Si was so into it. I really love the video though, G and Si are so similar in some ways.
    PS the Bible stickers are my fave :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know I haven't been following your blog for that long, so for me this is the first time I've actually heard Josiah speak! He is so precious. When he said "Mommy" and pointed to you, it made my heart melt.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rach, that video made me so happy! I haven't seen a Si video in a while - we need more of that cute face, that awesome head of hair and that adorable little voice of his! Oh what a wonderful thing you are teaching him - that Christmas is all about the giving. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh Si! i need to see you soon! you are just too cute!

    this post was lovely rachel. it's a good reminder for us to start teaching our children now about giving to others.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails