Wednesday, December 1, 2010

until Christmas arrives

Last year I had every intention of creating a Christmas countdown.

countdown 2
And umm, sadly it never happened. I blame it on being a new-sleep-deprived-working-outside-the-home-couldn't-get-the-kitchen-cleaned-let-alone-craft-a-Christmas-calendar-Mama.

Anyway.

This year, I created a plan and actually followed through on making it! Josiah is already wide-eyed with wonder for Christmas and I'm excited to have something special for him each day.

countdown 1
I gathered together 24 little boxes, Christmas papers, ribbon, mod podge, and a spare tree. And came up with this....

countdown 7
countdown 3
countdown 10
Inside each little box is a piece of chocolate - Si is going to have to fight me for them! :-) - along with a Christmas Bible passage to read or a "Jesus" song to sing....

countdown 9
Until Christmas arrives, my hope is that as we open each box, we will focus our hearts on the coming of Jesus. 2nd to that, we'll also embrace other fun aspects of this unique holiday season. There is a December calendar on our fridge covered in activities for us to do together each day....

cc mosaic
The activities are simple, but sweet - reading books, making crafts, baking cookies, and watching movies are a few of them. Most are things we can do at home, but others include taking in the town's holiday parade or driving around to look at the pretty lights and decorations.

countdown 5
I'm definitely looking forward to making lots of special memories during the next month! I say this often, but I am so thankful for my 2 boys. Celebrating Christmas with Josh and Josiah is such a gift!

What about you? Do you have a Christmas countdown?

Happy Advent to you, friends. I pray this season is full of peace and blessings.




18 comments:

  1. Rach... this seriously rocks! I *LOVE* it!!! EEK! I completely get what you mean by last year having the best intentions, and I wasn't even working outside the home! How did you *do* that!? You'll have to let us know what Si thinks! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an *adorable* advent idea! So perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is lovely, rachel! i'm still feeling a bit overwhelmed around here, so our advent calendar is a paper chain that c and i made together. i'm tucking away all these great ideas for future use though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the tree! What a cute idea! sweets and reason for the season! I have a calendar on the wall of fun family activites we can do each day. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a WONDERFUL idea!! and i love that you are going to have so many special moments of celebrating the entire holiday season with si. perfect. so perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely! what a wonderful idea! i love all the little boxes! very creative, momma :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is such an awesome idea!! i love it! between you and Christine's idea..i will be set for next year. we don't have an advent but we do have a lot of wonderful events planned this month. so excited.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Rachel, this is awesome! Between you and Christine, I'm seriously inspired. Now don't get me wrong, I think this year will be more like your last year. Enjoying the holidays but not a ton of time for craftiness, not much interest on Max's part. BUT, I will save these ideas for next year for sure! I LOVE the boxes you made - they are beautiful, and the idea to have a fun holiday activity each day. It'll be so much fun for Josiah! Now don't forget to blog about all your fun, OK?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is great!! Have fun with each of your activities this month!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an awesome advent calendar!!!!! I hope I will remember this next year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such an awesome idea! Between you and CCL, I am feeling inspired to do a modified version starting at day 12. What a great way to honor the season and it's meaning! Can't wait to hear about Si's reaction.

    P.S. I hope you don't mind, but I might "steal" some of your ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That tree is glorious! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love this idea! between you and christine..the two of you are killing me with these awesome advent projects! i must do something like this next year for sure! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW!! LOVING your countdown,so much better than the store bought advent calendars! We usually have an advent calendar, however sadly I haven't gotten one. I do still plan to do it!!
    We too have a calendar full of activities this time of year- I love it!! The kids love getting in the van in their Christmas pj's, a mug of hot chocolate, Christmas songs playing and driving around looking at the beautiful lights. They also look forward to making all the Christmas cookies and goodies for our friends and family. Have fun with your boys!!! Happy Advent:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. love, love, love it! i'm totally stealing both these ideas for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW! I'm impressed with your creativing and your organization. I love the boxes on the tree idea. Where do you find the time?!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm in awe and a bit jealous! Love the nativity shots, too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great tradition! Maybe I'll be like you next year :) I'm a little behind!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails