Tuesday, February 8, 2011

he loves me

Little ones have such a precious way of loving.

My son is no exception.

He hasn't always had the words to say "I love you", but I'm positive that he does. I don't question it.
I know it with everything in me.

Because he melts into my arms when I rock him. Because he stares into my eyes with a look of trust. Because he comes to me first when he is scared or hurt, happy or excited. Because he puts his tiny hand on my shoulder and pats my back. Because he grabs my face and smooches my cheek. Because he checks to make sure I'm watching him when he's showing off a trick or playing with his buddies. Because he saves his best and his worst moments for me.

He loves me.

The other evening at dinner, he whispered something to me as I took a sip of milk. I had to ask him to repeat himself in a louder voice and when he did, he smiled and said "I love you, mama."

I knew this to be true, but there was something so very special about him saying those 4 little words to me out of the blue.

All too often, too much emphasis is put on words. Little ones teach us and remind us that sometimes words aren't necessary....that sometimes actions really do speak louder.

And yet sometimes, words are good. They are welcomed and celebrated.

They are a gift.

I love you, too, my sweet boy.

mama love 2

15 comments:

  1. Oh goodness I totally just cried. That's precious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's beautiful! Si is such a sweetheart. And that picture is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post. As a mama with two boys who struggle with "words" I find this to be true.

    Si is adorable, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Rach, I'm a blubbering mess now. What a beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful...SO beautiful.
    and that's all i have to say now because i'm crying!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so in love with this post.

    I will never forget the first time each one of my boys said those words... and all it meant to me.

    Kai has yet to verbalize it (he's still not much of a talker at all) - but like you said, that body language says it all!

    I also really love that picture!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awwww, Rachel! What a beautiful post. Amazing!
    I know what you mean...I feel D's love in his actions & interactions...but I'm still waiting for the actual words.

    ReplyDelete
  8. what an amazing moment! josiah is so sweet. love him!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Melt my heart!! Oh my, that is beautiful, Rachel. Just beautiful! You have such a way with words. I know I've told you that before but sometimes I just need to remind you. And that little boy of yours is just the sweetest. And that photo - wow. Recently I've been feeling that Max really loves me. It's kind of a recent phenomenon but it's become obvious recently and it feels so good. I can only imagine what it must have felt like to have your son actually utter those words to you, whisper them in your ear. Cuz you're right - sometimes the actual words are so nice to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awww...I'm teary here. The love from our little boys is amazing and you (as always) put it just.right. I adore that pic of you two :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. A momma and her boys relationship is so precious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. lovely rachel!! the words you wrote...the picture...and the words you heard from si...just lovely!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails