Friday, March 4, 2011

thoughts on sunshine and home

Gray winter clouds and the sun have been at odds this winter in our town.

And those gray cloudy skies are winning hands down. I honestly can count on one hand the number of sunny days I remember in the last few months. Each of those days I would rush to the windows and smile.

The other morning I saw the sun peeking over the trees and knew it would be a beautiful day.

winter day 2
Pretty blue skies and bright sunshine stayed around all day long. The snow gleamed and sparkled. The sweet sound of melting icicles could be heard.

I sat with Josiah on our red bench in the backyard and enjoyed the goodness.

winter day 1
And all that sunshine got me thinking.

I've shared before my struggles with embracing change and finding contentment and belonging in this new town {funny how those thoughts I wrote came about after a day spent outside, too!}. Even though I'm still adjusting and still have feelings of loneliness, I'm confident that this place will be home some day soon, instead of just feeling new.

God is certainly helping me with this. He's sticking by me, forgiving me, and blessing me.

Friendships are becoming stronger.

Our church members are becoming like a family to us. They love us dearly. I makes me happy that I'm getting to know their stories and who they are.

I am so enjoying my new camera. Taking photographs is something I've always enjoyed, but my passion for it is becoming stronger.

My hubby and kiddo continue to bring me so much joy.

That red bench will be coming with us to a new home. We found a house we love in a wonderful community just outside of town. We're thankful and excited to be moving into that space at the end of April!

I feel like the sun is shining a little brighter as each month passes.....and it's not just because Spring is on it's way.

I'm starting to feel a sense of belonging and home here. And that makes me smile.

"From the rising of the sun to the place where it sets, the name of the LORD is to be praised." Psalm 113:3




21 comments:

  1. I am glad you are starting to feel at home...it definitely takes a while and it is not easy starting over. Si is getting so big (so is Matthew of course...it happens too fast!!!). I hope we can get together again soon! And I hope we start seeing a lot more sun very soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you found a place that you can make your own. You have many things to look forward with this.
    And nice to be a little ways out of town. Not so many eyes around.

    I understand everything you are talking about. It usually takes me a year to year and half to feel like I belong and that it deels like home.

    Thankful that things are changing a little bit for you.

    Also- what a blessing to have your son to fill up your day.

    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. This made me smile! I'm so happy you are feeling more settled and more at home. Congrats on your new home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As usual your posts are so sweet. Glad you are feeling more at home in your town, I can definitely relate to how long it takes for it to feel like home. Congrats on the new home as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's hard, the adjustment after a move. We moved over a year ago and I still feel kind of itchy and off and lonely for our old home. But it does get better and better, just like you said. Like the sun after so many cloudy days, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, your post made ME smile. We love your honesty, Rachel, and your positive outlook. Things are looking up! Much to look forward to this spring, my friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's amazing what a little sun can do for the spirit! Yeah for finding your new home!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad that the sun is coming out for you, in so many wonderful ways :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on finding a home! And thank you for sharing your struggles along the journey God is leading you on. It's definitely something I deal with too, finding contentment far away from everything familiar, so your words (God's words) are such an encouragement. Many blessings to your family Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I missed that you got a new camera...what did you get?

    Can't imagine the adjustments you are having to make with all the changes....

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad things are getting better and you are feeling more settled. Congratulations on the new house!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad your starting to feel at home.. and congrats on the new house!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Adjustment takes time..I am a mother and grandmother too. I reach out to you in our Father's love in thoughts and prayers..

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's wonderful that you are getting settled in!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Rachel,
    I was reading some back post and came across the one about the book you made for your little man and his own story. I love the idea and was just curious about the size of the book? If you could just drop me a comment and let me know approximately what size the complete book is I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks Grace & Peace

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is so hard to start over and find a sense of belonging in a new community. I am so glad you are getting there.

    ReplyDelete
  17. what gorgeous photos! so glad you are beginning to feel at home...the Lord knows what He's doing, but sometimes it's hard to keep up with Him! so glad you're getting there...;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm a bit slow to comment here, but I'm so glad to hear that you're starting to feel at home again. It must be so hard to pick up and move!
    PS Love your red bench!

    ReplyDelete
  19. this is a beautiful post, rachel. change is so hard, and i'm so happy to hear that you are feeling more settled in your new town.

    i can't wait to see you in your new place. seriously. can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm so glad you're feeling more at home. It's not easy to move, much less to a less than exciting location. I have a feeling this spring and summer will be the best for you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is such a beautiful post Rach. (I'm a wee bit behind... oops)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails