Sunday, June 26, 2011

june 26: ministry tidbits

river 1
Our little church seemed to be busting at the seems this Sunday morning with church members and visitors. Josiah YeJoon and I sat together in the back row and took in the sweet sight of the sea of people in front of us. We had a really big, busy, exciting week at our campus and I couldn't help but smile at the good God is doing in this place.

The Preacher Man gave a sermon of Truth and encouragement. I realized as he spoke that sometime in the last few months, I've stopped being nervous for him up there in the pulpit. Boy oh boy I used to get jittery for him! I've also stopped thinking of him as my husband during the church service and instead as my pastor. I used to wonder if I'd really ever get to this point. But here we are. And then poof when church is over he's my cute hubs again. And I throw our crazy toddler at him and warn him he'd better hang up his suit coat when he gets home or else.

It's the best of both worlds, I tell ya.

July is coming and that means we've been here for one year. While sometimes it feels like we jumped in feet first into this ministry, in reality we've only dipped our toes in the water {and we'll probably always feel a bit this way!}. There is so much to learn and do and experience.

Our church family is fantastic. They have welcomed us with open arms and hearts. They are funny and sweet, flawed and forgiven, old and young. I've never-in-my-life met a group so serious about food, y'all. Potlucks are somethin' else here. They sing their little hearts out. Today we belted out this song and this one, too. Two of my favorites and I wiped away happy tears.

This church family loves me as me. That in itself is a huge blessing {and relief}. I'm the pastor's wife that comes flying in at the last possible moment with a crazy two year old tucked under my arm. We sit in the back and our pew always looks like a bomb of goldfish and crayons exploded on it. I don't have it all together or play the organ or have a clue about running a ladies guild, but I'm learning that those things aren't deal breakers. So far our church members seem satisfied with a genuine smile, a listening ear, and a caring word from me. All of which, I am happy to give. They laugh with me at our inside jokes and invite me to lunch with them. They remember small details about me and check in if I'm not feeling well. I'm learning their stories and remembering more and more names. True relationships are forming and I love that.

They spoil SiGuy to bits and love him fiercely. Seems that every time I turn around he has a donut or a snack or a new prize. He LOVES being at church and it shows.

They adore Josh, admire his hard work, and are in awe of his energy. Me included - this pastor stuff looks purdy good on him. Mostly because, above all else, he loves Jesus. And that's what this whole thing is really about.

The Lord has truly blessed our first year here in leaps and bounds.

I'm so proud and thankful to stand with my Josh in his ministry. I cannot wait to see more of God's plans as they unfold. I think He's got some good stuff up His sleeve!


*******

Speak, O Lord, and renew our minds;
Help us grasp the heights of Your plans for us -
Truths unchanged from the dawn of time
That will echo down through eternity.
And by grace we'll stand on Your promises,
And by faith we'll walk as You walk with us.
Speak, O Lord, til Your church is built
And the earth is filled with your glory.




11 comments:

  1. This was wonderful to read, Rachel! I remember the first time we "officially met" you were in that adjustment period and it was all new and a little bit of culture shock may have been going on. :) God is so good at giving us time, meeting us where we are at, and then surprising us with how deeply we love and put roots down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So wonderful to hear how the Lord is blessing your family and your congregation! Loving all the posts this month :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. those are two of our favorite songs too, sung regularly at our church. And I love this post! I think being a pastor's wife has to be one of the toughest jobs, but also potentially very rewarding. How wonderful that you are seeing the blessings God has given you and what fun it will be to see what He has planned next for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this might be my favorite post of yours ever. Yes, ever. It's so "you" and it gives us a glimpse into your life, as it is, in the moment. The "preacher wife" role is so foreign and unknown to me, but you make it feel approachable and fresh. You took us behind the scenes here that break all the preconceived notions I had. (Which were based on TV and books mostly, just so you have an idea of what those notions were!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a post !!!! Love it, love the hymns and so can relate to all of it at the beginning of Joel's ministry. I am not the organist, teacher or leader, just LuAnn. Joel's wife and Phil's mom and a member of Faith.

    Keep it up Rachel !!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad how well everything is going for you!!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so happy things are now so comfortable for you all. I think you are a marvelous pastor's wife and they are lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I cannot even imagine what it's like being a preacher's wife, but you've let us in on the secret ... that it's just a normal woman trying her best while juggling a toddler. I love that you said you don't play the organ :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautiful, rachel! i can't help but feel that not every new pastor's wife can write this sort of post a year into ministry together. so thankful it has gone so well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh, rach.
    thank you, thank you, THANK YOU for this post.
    i so needed it!
    i love your heart and joy that you pour into your role as a pastor's wife...it's tough. i know it. firsthand! but i so appreciate your honesty and faithfulness because quite frankly, i have a hard time being in this role. but then i come by here, read your words and am refreshed and renewed in knowing it's not so bad afterall :)
    love and blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a great update! As a career PK, I have the "inside" scoop on what its like and when you find a church that really loves you and cares about you...that is a gift.

    Blessings to you guys as you head down to FL. Wish I could be a fly on the wall to see Josiah's reaction to it all!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails