Friday, October 21, 2011

it started with a newspaper

When I was a small girl, I dreamed of my life as a mother. My four or five precious little bundles would have blonde hair and green eyes like me. In my mind's eye, I pictured myself toting two tiny ones in my arms while the others skipped around my knees.

And then one day, God planted something in my young heart that would continue to grow - slow but sure. Something that would stir up a new picture of what my future family might be.

An article in our local paper spotlighted a family I knew very well. Our pastor and his wife had three beautiful children - a biological son and two adopted daughters from Korea. I read and read and at the end, the mom, Sandy, mentioned that South Korea was open for adoptions at that time.

I stared at the large front-page photo of the two young Korean sisters and thought, I hope Korea still allows adoptions when I am old and married. I want to adopt a baby from there.

I carefully folded that article up and tucked it away for keeps. And just like that, my dream for motherhood was tweaked.

I'm not a mother to many blonde green eyed kiddos. That was not the plan for me and I'm thankful for that. Because right now I am Mama to one little boy with fabulous dark hair and the darkest, deepest eyes I've even looked into. If I believed in luck, you can betcha I'd say I'm the luckiest girl in the world.

We don't know what the future holds for our family. If we will remain three or become four or more like we hope. If babes with blue eyes or brown eyes or green eyes will shine back at us. Josh and I are blessed and thankful and if we know one thing, it's that God has a knack for making His plans pan out. And we trust Him.

I still have that newspaper article. It's folded up in a cardboard box along with a bunch of mixed tapes, red and blue ribbons, and purple binders. It's a sweet reminder, a little wink from God, and I smile because He knew all along.

balloon


15 comments:

  1. beautiful!! so interesting how God's plans are different from our's and how much better His plans are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this and share in your sentiment. Our family is not what we pictured either because we could never have imagined something so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also had the same dream - I think about 4 is always what my Barbie had ( that was me married to Ken).

    But the Lord had different plans and so thankful that he always knows what is best for us. love my Phil !!!

    Love this post !!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so beautiful, I wish I could remember all the little things along the years that God used to plant this desire in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. so sweet. I love how God works!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How amazing that you kept that newspaper clipping after all these years. Very neat to see how God planted the seed and years later He knew it would come to pass.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I never knew that story. It is amazing how everything just works like it's supposed to!

    ReplyDelete
  8. love this. and now i'm wiping away a few tears.

    ReplyDelete
  9. God' plan is perfect, isn't it?? And I am eagerly waiting to hear what the plan is for child #2 - it's going to be awesome, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this post, Rachel, because it sums up how I feel so well. God's plan for our family turned out differently than I had dreamed but I wouldn't change it one bit! Can't wait to see all He has in store for growing your sweet family!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a neat story! I just love how God works. And I can't wait to see what else He's got in store for your family!

    ReplyDelete
  12. His plans DO usually pan out...joining you in thanks that He doesn't cave into our insistence that things go OUR way. Its also nice to see when it all comes together and we finally get the "ah-ha" moment. We don't always, but sometimes.

    You are such a gifted writer, Rach.

    ReplyDelete
  13. this post makes me smile. I think some us know subliminally years before we know mentally.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this. Thank you so much for sharing. I just started following your blog and cannot wait to keep reading. I'm still relatively young, but I think God's been leading me towards a vision for adoption somewhere down the road. So, I appreciate this story :) Gives me great excitement!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails