Thursday, December 1, 2011

advent fluff

I can pretty much count on one hand the things I accomplished so far this week off my to-do list.

Menu planned. {For like the first.time.evah.}
Sent off a very important package.
Jogged.
Delivered a "thanks for coming" gift to a church visitor.
Watched the Parenthood episode from Tuesday night. {This season is amazing, isn't it? Love that show. It has a recipe for making me laugh and cry back and forth in 42 minutes.}

Alllllll that in 3 days.

It's not much but I'm ok with that. Christmas has taken over my brain and my priorities. It's Advent after all. The nonholiday stuff can be pushed to the side for a bit.

I sit covered with a heavy blanket and soak up the pretty lights. I hang ornaments with my 3 year old. I putter around tweaking the decorations. And then I tweak some more. I cry listening to songs about Jesus.

We've watched the old time Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer twice already. Si quickly declared it his new favorite movie. He ripped the glittery reindeer ornaments right off the tree and holds them while he watches. Have you seen that movie lately?? It's cute and all, but the choppy animation nearly makes me motion sick. Weird, but true.





It's December 1st today and it's time to bust out the boxes.


advent countdown 4
advent countdown 6
advent countdown 2advent countdown 3
advent countdown 1
I crafted them up last year and we hung them on a little tree. This time around, I decided to string them up in the kitchen. They add a festive touch to a wall that was in need of a festive touch.

One item on my to-do list was to stuff the boxes with little chocolates, slips of paper with Christmas Bible passages and songs, and activities for each day. Yeah, that hasn't been done just yet. I have until dinner to get my act together. Or at the very least make sure that the 1 box is ready to go. And then we'll countdown with happy, joyful hearts to one of the very most important days of all.

All of this fluff and sparkle means nothing without that tiny babe in the manger.

But the angel said to her, "Do not be afraid, Mary, you have found favor with God. You will be with child and give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus." Luke 1:30-31

What about you, friends. Has the holiday season kicked off at your house yet? Does your family have a countdown to Christmas?



4 comments:

  1. Adorable garland!

    Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer is actually my ringtone now. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, I'm so glad I'm not the only one loving the show Parenthood! My husband knows I'll end up crying repeatedly and generally tries to avoid the TV area!

    And Baby Jesus 'stuff' is our current favorite topic and toy-hurray Little People manger set!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love ur advent idea!!! It's a must do..bring on a christmas craft project :-)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails