Monday, January 16, 2012

all rolled into one little word

reach_
Over the last two weeks I've seen others share their "one little word" for 2012. A single word each person can focus on for inspiration the whole year through. 

achieve. create. bloom. contentment. intentional. adventure. 

I'd read each word and think Ohhh, that's a good one. Maybe that should be my word, too. I tried a bunch on but none of them fit just right. Apparently forcing other's words to be my own doesn't work all that well for me. So I moved on and thought on it some more. Then it came to me the other day as I was moving laundry from the washer to the dryer. 

reach 
:: to stretch
:: to strive
:: to communicate 
:: to arrive at or attain 
:: to make an impression on


All that rolled up into one little word. It deserves a pretty bow. 


This word reach, it packs a punch. It's intentional. It's action. It thrills me and scares me. It makes me want to burst free out the door and hide in the corner all at the same time. Because fear and hope are always at odds in my little mind. Fear of failure, the unknown, rejection. Fear keeps me still, and not in a good way. But then there's hope. And hope has big plans and high goals. She wants to achieve and create. She wants to make things happen, make an impact. Hope is chomping at the bit and wants to kick fear in the rear for holding her back. 

reach

I want this little old me to draw closer to Him and grow into more of what He wants me to be. 

My wish is to stretch as a mom and wife and friend. I want to bless others with words and actions, make an impact on hearts in my home and our church and community and beyond. Even when it's hard or awkward or scary. Even when it would be easier to sit under my heated blanket and watch the Bachelor instead. 

I'd be tickled pink to have hopes and plans of mine become more than just words scribbled on a notebook page. 

So I'm going to reach. Reach out and grasp and hold tight like there is no tomorrow. Again and again. Because fear is silly and it doesn't hurt to try. Just try. And watch the good and the beauty He makes out of one little word. 

Do you have a word for 2012? I'd absolutely positively love to hear it and cheer you on. 

The Lettered Cottage

11 comments:

  1. Great choice! And you definitely put thought into it. My word is patience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great word!!! Good luck to you as you "reach" in 2012 :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said, Rach. I struggle too with the combating forces of fear and hope. My word(s) are pursue love from 1 Corinthians 14:1.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "curl up in a blanket and watch the Bachelor..." Oh goodness you are funny. That show is such a guilty pleasure!
    Rach, I loved this post. It is transforming what one little word can be. (our bible study leader did this for us, gave us each a word as a "gift", for her description of each of us.
    I am going to have to think about this, wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful choice! I keep reading the words and think....I like that one....no....I like that one. I think this is my inspiration for 2012!
    blessings,
    karianne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent word choice, it is also the word that found me this year! Blessings on reaching your full potential in this new year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great word!!! I love it... and it's so perfect for you. I loved this post. So inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is the 2nd blog in a row I've seen regarding the one word. I need to think about what mine will be...

    ReplyDelete
  9. reach for it, girl. may God help you reach places you never thought possible.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Never would have thought of that one, but I applaud your originality and enthusiasm..."reach" for it all, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love that word. I've never thought of choosing a word to focus on. Let me ponder...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails