Tuesday, May 1, 2012

for Heather

I am stuck in a downpour on the roadtrip from our house to my parent's house. I make the call to my brother and his wife when I'm just three minutes from their house. They're not surprised because that's how I roll. Come on over. Heather has dubbed me "The Gypsy". It's not all that unusual for me and Josiah to pop in on a whim and stay for an unknown amount of time before we travel on home or onward to my folk's. When she opens the door and I haul my kiddo and all our stuff inside, we laugh and hug tight. We eat big bowls of popcorn and I fall into the guest bed and sleep hard without waking up once. 

We sit across each other at the kitchen table wearing sweatpants and wonky bedhead hair. All the live long day, we chit chat and laugh and make frequent trips to the pantry or fridge and back. We bounce back and forth between funny and serious, our filters checked at the door. It's refreshing and needed and in those moments, I am thankful for a sister-in-law who is a dear friend. She dreams up dreams I don't even know I have and encourages me to break free of fear. She rips out a handful of used pages from a leather journal, hands it to me and demands that I write. And I will. God gave her a heart of gold. She's forever a giver and her words are always, always a gift. 

Heather, you probably won't read this until June since you're the only person I know who goes weeks without connecting to the internet. But I love you a whole bunch, Sister Wife. Thanks for always taking The Gypsy in and filling me up with all sorts of beautiful. You rock my shoes off.

********

I'm sitting criss-cross applesauce on my parent's living room floor. Josiah hasn't changed out of his footie pjs in days. There is nothing like being home. Especially when there's an entire week of this goodness ahead of you and you get to spend the day celebrating your Dad's 54th birthday. It's the only place in the world I want to be right this second. 

Enjoy this lovely week, dear ones! I hope it brings you oodles of sunshine and that you find yourself chatting for hours on end with a dear friend. Truly, I do. 


cottage 7

joining in today with another fabulous Heather ::



8 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to your daddy !!!
    My dad will be 77 tomorrow.

    Enjoy your WI & family time - maybe I will see you along the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. we moved from il to nj, far away from my home, and close to my husband's. the way my sister-in-law has received me not only as family, but as a girlfriend, has helped this place feel like my home too. it's such a gift when family and friendship weaves together and you can't tell where one ends and the other begins. holidays are the best. thanks for reminding me how precious it is!! here from just write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautiful thoughts! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. Definitely nothing better than being home. Especially if everyone can be there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. It's one of my very favorites. :) It is so *us*!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails