Wednesday, December 4, 2013

back it up

Haaaaappy Thaaaanksgiving!!! 

I know, I know. 

December is well on her merry way. The twinkle lights are up and everyone has shimmied their way into the Christmas season, me included. I may be the last person on the planet still chatting about November, but let's just roll with it, m'kay?

I'm just now sitting down to scroll through photos from last week's holiday festivities. They make me miss the pumpkins. And the hand-print turkeys. And the Kraft paper banners. 

And my family. 

They all descended upon our house on Wednesday evening and wasted no time in making themselves at home. Every flat surface of our little house was covered, every room slept in, every fork dirtied. Everyone brought food. The oven burst into flames. Josh deep-fried the turkey in a race car jacket. We ate and ate on a long white classy card table and drank from crystal goblets. I snuggled my darling new niece for the first time. The kids marched around our circle waving American flags. They wore Great-Gran's knitted hats. The men shopped. The gals took personality tests on the internet. We stayed up too late and woke up too early. 

It all went by too fast. 

On Saturday, after days of fun and family and noise, I shared a photo and these words on Instagram ::
Now as I sit in the quiet, I'm overwhelmed with thanks for the ones I hold dear, for hearts beating strong, for the gift of home, for my Jesus who loves so fiercely and gives so freely, and for the struggles that draw us nearer to Him.

I'm so thankful for my people and this life. All of it. The good and the hard, the mundane and unexpected, the beauty and the mess. 

I hope that each of you had a very wonderful, very happy Thanksgiving! 

thanksgiving_-9 thanksgiving_-8 thanksgiving 1-2 thanksgiving_-2 thanksgiving_-11 thanksgiving_-5 thanksgiving 1 thanksgiving_-7 thanksgiving_-6 thanksgiving_-4 thanksgiving 1-3 thanksgiving_ thanksgiving_-3 thanksgiving 2-2 thanksgiving 3 thanksgiving_-10

2 comments:

  1. Love all of those pics, but especially the one of Dean and Josh frying the Turkey! I can just hear your Dad's laugh! :) So glad you had a great Thanksgiving with your family. New blow up picture for your mom's wall??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel, your home is so, so beautiful! And a home always shines brighter when its filled to the brim with people who you love. I'm glad we can still be friends even though you're so crafty. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails